Addiction Treatment Therapy in Concord, NC (704) 490-4263
Addiction treatment therapy is a collection of various alternative and traditional therapies that treat the complex psychological issues behind addiction that are implemented once the physical dependence has been broken through medical detox.
Addiction treatment therapy takes place in group, individual, and family settings, and various types of therapy should be utilized to ensure a holistic approach to treatment that addresses issues of the mind, body, and spirit. If you are interested in all of our program options, call Drug Treatment Centers Concord NC at (704) 490-4263
to speak to our experts.
Different Categories of Addiction Treatment Therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy helps patients learn to identify and change self-destructive thought processes, attitudes, and behaviors and develop coping skills for handling stress, triggers, and cravings.
- Family therapy addresses dysfunction within the family to improve the home environment through healthy communication and the resolution of various specific issues that may have led to the dysfunction and contributed to the addiction.
- Motivational interviewing leads patients to identify their own personal reasons for wanting to recover from an addiction.
- Motivational incentives offer patients external and tangible rewards like cash and vouchers for abstaining from drugs or alcohol, meeting personal goals, and attending recovery meetings and counseling sessions.
Types of Treatment Therapies
Specific addiction treatment therapies are widely diverse and include traditional psychotherapy, or “talk” therapy as well as alternative therapies that promote overall good physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- 12-Step programs provide peer support that fosters a higher level of accountability, allows those in all stages of recovery to share experiences and resources, and provides sponsorship to ensure there’s always someone available to help those new to recovery through rough patches.
- SMART Recovery is an alternative to 12-Step groups and bases its program on four points: maintaining motivation, coping with cravings, living a balanced lifestyle, and managing thoughts, emotions, and actions.
- Restorative yoga is an alternative therapy that promotes balance and flexibility of mind and body, relieves stress, and fosters mindfulness and body awareness.
- Meditation helps patients become more aware of their thoughts and attitudes and helps alleviate stress and cravings as well as present a broader view of one’s own thought processes.
- Biofeedback teaches patients to use techniques like breathing exercises and progressive relaxation to reduce stress on the spot by controlling involuntary bodily responses to stress, including increased blood pressure and muscle tension.
- Moral reconation therapy helps patients develop higher level reasoning skills that consider the benefits and detriments of personal decisions as they relate to both the individual and society in general.
The Principles of Effective Treatment
The Principles of Effective Treatment are 13 tenets that have been developed based on years of research into what works best in drug treatment for ensuring successful long-term recovery afterwards. The Principles include the acknowledgments that:
- Addiction is a complex brain disease that affects behavior, but it’s a treatable disease.
- No single addiction treatment therapy will work for every patient, and utilizing a variety of relapse prevention therapies helps ensure all patients will benefit from treatment.
- Effective treatment must address the multiple needs of the patient, including co-occurring disorders, secondary addictions, and underlying issues related to stress or abuse.
- An individual’s treatment plan must be continually monitored for changing and emerging needs.
- Between one-third and one-half of all individuals with an addiction also have a co-occurring mental illness that must be treated separately from the addiction, but the treatment therapies for each illness should be integrated.
- A combination of group, individual, and family therapy is ideal for addressing various needs and the many factors that contribute to abuse and addiction.
- Addiction rehab doesn’t have to be voluntary in order to be effective.
Call Drug Treatment Centers Concord NC to find out more about our recovery programs. Dial (704) 490-4263.
Most Major Insurances Accepted
We make the insurance verification process easy so you can begin the journey to recovery quickly and safe. 100% Confidential